And more to come
The Lübeck Airport has a history with many ups and downs. For 100 years aircraft have been starting and landing in the Hanseatic city. The airport was air base, operational base, part of the Berlin Airlift, and regional airport.
While it is currently especially used by private pilots and travelling salespersons, we are working to make our airport of short distances ready for commercial aviation and to improve its quality for the renters, our partners and customers.
From the past
The history of Lübeck Airport is vivid, excellently documented and actually makes for filming a movie. It started with the royal Prussian flying school in the year 1917. In the 1920s, in the first aviation event, a Fokker D VII of the German chocolate brand Trumpf delighted people by throwing off chocolate samples over Lübeck. During WW II, the army used the airport to fly attacks against England. Ju 52 were used as transport and supply planes.
Near the end of the war, the first jet fighters such as ME 262 followed, and eventually, from May 1945, the Royal Air Force used the airport as operation and training base. During the Berlin Blockade, 2600 planes started from Lübeck – sometimes up to 100 a day – and supplied the blockaded city with over 73,000 tons of food and goods.
During the 1950s, refugees from the GDR were accommodated in the former barracks, and at the same time, gliders and civil airplanes were taking off again. The Aero Club and LVfL (Lübeck Aviation Club) hired the airport while the US were using it to tap the GDR radio traffic. From the times of the Cold War and for 50 years, Lübeck was the base of fighter aircraft such as Spitfire, Hawker Seafury, Bronco and Westwind. Due to the proximity to the GDR, it was at first difficult to establish a scheduled air service.
In the 1970, the first connections were opened and an airport building was built. The German airspace was opened in 1990 and the airport received an instrument landing system, regular charter flights and a terminal. In 1998, Winfried Stöcker’s company EUROIMMUN (today investor of the Lübeck Airport and entrepreneur) moved into the former barracks with officer quarters.